General Policy Perspectives
AKPCTA is committed to the following general policy perspectives and agenda of reforms in higher education for the realization of which the association is engaged in struggles – in the form of campaigns, direct action and legal actions.
1. Take effective steps for the expansion and modernization of Higher Education in accordance with the principles of equity and excellence
2. The Government should play a leadership role in Higher Education, even as it ensures the enjoyment of academic freedom and autonomy by institutions of higher learning.
3. Effective measures have to be taken against the communalization of Higher Education.
4. All efforts have to be made for the promotion of principled co-operation among institutions of higher learning within and outside the country with the aim of enhancing the avenues for acquisition and dissemination of knowledge .At the same time, enough checks have to be built into the systems to resist the onslaught of competitive globalization and commercialization of Higher Education.
5. Investment in Higher Education should not be regarded as a burden on state exchequer. It should, on the contrary, be regarded as a long-term investment for the promotion of the economic, social and cultural development of the state. The state should make adequate investment, which is compatible with this concept of funding in Higher Education.
6. Universalization of Higher Education should be declared as the goal to be achieved. In pursuance of this, Opportunities for Higher Education should be expanded to cover at least 25% of the relevant age group within the next four years.
7. New courses should be offered in colleges, making full utilization of the manpower and infrastructural facilities rendered surplus by the restructuring of Pre-degree courses. While doing this primary importance should be given for the study of basic disciplines and fundamental research with a view to making a critique of existing knowledge and generating new knowledge. Adequate number of job-oriented courses should also be started after making a proper estimate of the job opportunities in the local and global markets.
8. The study of information technology should be encouraged as a tool for updating knowledge in various disciplines. For this, enrichment courses should be started in colleges within the parameters of the affiliating system.
9. The University acts and Statutes should be changed in such a way as to enable the fulfilment of new social obligations on the part of institutions of higher learning. The academic and administrative bodies of the institutions must be reconstituted on the lines of de-centralized democratic management. This should result in the empowerment of teachers, students and parents.
10. The State Council for Higher education should be reconstituted by including prominent educationalists, representatives of the Government, Universities, teachers and students. The Council could undertake the following responsibilities.
a) Provide recommendations for policy planning on the basis of a detailed study of the educational needs of the state
b) Provide a forum for coordination of the activities of all institutions of higher learning in the State
c) Provide commonly required general services for all institutions of higher learning in the State.
To transact the above, the following institutions may be established under the Council
a. Curriculum Development Centre
b. Examination Reforms Cell
c. State Council for Assessment and Accreditation
d. Teacher Recruitment Board for Universities and Colleges
e. Man-power Planning and Employment Cell
11. Establish a new affiliating University for Professional Colleges
12. Establish an Open University for Distance Education
13. Keep under check the operations of foreign Universities in the State
14. Make provision for continual training of teachers. The Government should provide adequate support for establishing Academic Staff Colleges in all Universities
15. Restructuring and updating of courses and semester system should be implemented at all levels in Higher Education. The Universities should be given adequate financial support for this purpose
16. The Government should play a leadership role in making social service a part of the curriculum at the degree level.
17. Ensure that the services of teachers are fully utilized in their respective institutions in consistence with their social obligations. Take effective steps to ban private tuition.